The Douglas Spirit Rock is now available for rental and painting! For a suggested donation of $25, rent the rock for a day and paint a message of support for a Douglas student, teacher, staff member or event!
When you rent the rock, you’ll select the day you want your message to appear. However, your rental starts at 4:30 p.m. the day before so you have time to paint the rock after carpool and it’s ready for the next morning!
Tips for Painting the Rock
- Please only paint the front of the rock facing carpool/the front entrance.
- Spray paint is helpful to coat the rock. Any color you want for the background works. And if you mess up, just use spray paint to match the background color and paint it again!
- You can use stencils or sketch your design in chalk first to check sizing and legibility from a few feet away before you paint.
- Spray paint works well for large areas.
- For smaller, more detailed areas, use acrylic paint (or spray paint with stencils). In case of rain, avoid paints like tempera that easily wash off.
- Remember to bring different size paintbrushes and a cup with water to rinse them.
- Egg cartons work well to hold different color paints.
Share Your Design!
After you’ve painted the rock, share your design on Facebook and tag us!