As we start back to school — many of us for the first time in person in 17 months — we remain hopeful and optimistic that our students, staff and families can enjoy a year that looks as close as possible to what we all call normal.
During the 2021-2022 school year, our school is likely to face challenges and changes that we can best tackle if we all work together. That’s what’s so great about the Douglas community — we band together to support our school, whatever the need may be.
The Douglas PTA is the sole funding source for:
- Teacher stipends and grants
- Schoolwide projects
- Various school clubs
- Spelling bee
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Community garden
- Butterfly garden
We also support the school library through the Scholastic Book Fair, fund the Cultural Arts Program, and fund our school food pantry.
We pay for these programs through membership dues and fundraisers.
As your PTA, we promise to get creative, no matter what this year throws at us, to show our teachers that we have their backs and our kids that there is a whole community rooting for their success. And that is where we need your support!
We hope you will consider joining the PTA. Every single membership makes a difference.
Membership dues are $12 per family. But we understand that money can be an issue, and we don’t want this to be a barrier to joining the PTA. Please reach out to your child’s teacher and let them know that you are still interested in joining.
We welcome all input from our families, teachers, and the wider community. Show up for our virtual PTA meetings, offer to help with a project or serve on a committee. The more involved you as our parents and families can be, the more our school community will thrive.
Please consider supporting the Douglas community by joining the PTA and/or donating at https://douglas.memberhub.store.
We can’t believe it either! As you enjoy the last days of summer break, please mark your calendars for some upcoming school events. And keep an eye on the Douglas website for event updates and other important information like supply lists.
- Sunday, Aug. 15 (10 a.m.-12 p.m.) and Saturday, Aug. 21 (3-5 p.m.): Kindergarten and 1st-grade playdates at Eastgate Park. The PTA will provide popsicles and sidewalk chalk. Details here: https://fb.me/e/2vW0tezkE
- Monday, Aug. 16: Back to School Chat with Principal Burns, 10-11 a.m. Please submit questions ahead of time here. The session will be recorded for those unable to attend. Google Meet Link: meet.google.com/wmm-pcgv-jzx
- Thursday, Aug. 19: 1st-5th Grades Virtual Meet the Teacher, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Teachers will be in contact with all families by the end of the day on Wednesday, Aug. 18, with additional details. Sessions will be recorded for those unable to attend.
- Thursday, Aug. 26: Kindergarten Virtual Meet the Teacher, 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Teachers will be in contact with all families by the end of the day on Thursday, Aug. 26, with additional details. Sessions will be recorded for those unable to attend.
Can you believe we’re just a few weeks away from the start of the 2021-22 school year?! Check out the supply lists below (click on the image to view larger or print).
Two Douglas Dragons won National Awards of Excellence for their artwork in the 2020-21 PTA Reflections program! Congratulations to Annabelle Pate and Jacob Cerveny!!
Both students created artwork that reflected the theme, “I Matter Because …” Annabelle placed in the photography category and Jacob in film production. Their artwork, along with that by other winners across the United States, will be featured in a traveling exhibition.
Check out Jacob’s award-winning video.
This is Annabelle’s award-winning photo project:
Thank you to all Douglas students for entering PTA’s Reflections contest. We hope to see more of your creative artwork in the Reflections program next school year!